DC Comics projects and creators were honored on Friday, July 25, when the winners of the 2008 Eisner Awards were announced at Comic-Con International: San Diego, with winners in six categories.
In addition, DC President & Publisher Paul Levitz was named the recipient of the 2008 Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award.
“It’s a singular honor to receive the Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award from Comic-Con International 2008,” says Levitz. “Everything our field accomplishes is built on the creative work of our founding generation, and we're at a great moment to expand our horizons with a new generation of creators. Anything I've been able to do to improve the recognition of the former and the opportunity for the latter has been my pleasure, and to be recognized for it is icing on a lifetime of cake.”
DC Comics thanks the Eisners committee for their efforts, and congratulates all the nominees.
DC’s 2008 Eisner Award winners are:
Best Single Issue or One-Shot:
• JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #11: “Walls,” by Brad Meltzer and Gene Ha (Collected in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE LIGHTNING SAGA HC, OCT070192 — available for reorder)
Best Continuing Series:
• Y: THE LAST MAN, by Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra and Jose Marzan, Jr.
Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team:
• Pia Guerra/Jose Marzan, Jr. (Y: THE LAST MAN)
Best Cover Artist:
• James Jean (FABLES, The Umbrella Academy)
• Todd Klein (JUSTICE, SIMON DARK, FABLES, JACK OF FABLES, CROSSING MIDNIGHT, THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN: BLACK DOSSIER, Nexus)
• Dave Stewart (BPRD, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cut, Hellboy, Lobster Johnson, The Umbrella Academy, THE SPIRIT)
This year’s Hall of Fame inductees included John Broome, Arnold Drake, Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson and Len Wein. Also, Archie Goodwin was named the winner of The Bill Finger Excellence in Comics Writing Award.